In a recent email, Rich Litvin, co-author of The Prosperous Coach, provided a series of questions to complete a personal ANNUAL REVIEW. He maintains its questions and the power of looking back that inspire us to greater things.
It reminded me of a book I read when I was preparing to walk the 800 km Camino – a solo pilgrimage across Spain. The authors suggested looking back, from time to time, and noticing how far I had come. I did this a few times over the course of the 40-day walk and was always amazed at how far along I was – looking back to a mountain range I had been walking in just a few days before.
The intention of the annual review is to acknowledge shifts and accomplishments, notice what energizes or drains you, recognize personal growth, note what fears you overcame and identify what you are excited about in the coming year.
My big success in 2023 was becoming more present, more patient, and more at peace. A huge accomplishment indeed. It has changed everything for me and my work as a coach.
What did you notice about yourself this past year?
THE ANNUAL REVIEW (compliments of Rich Litvin)
1. SUCCESS: What are you proud of this year? (It’s not bragging if you’ve done it and bragging is a lost art).
2. ENERGY: What energized you and what drained you this year? (Your next level of success is held back by the people, places and habits that are draining you of energy).
3. FEAR: What scared you this year? (Fear is often a mask for desire. Did you let it hold you back, or did you move ahead anyway?)
4. GROWTH: How did you grow this year?
5. CONFIDENCE: What are you most confident about in this current moment?
6. EXCITEMENT: What are you excited for in the year ahead?